Attention Veterans! Your CDL-A License May be Covered by the Post 9/11 GI Bill, The Montgomery GI Bill or the VA’s Military Apprenticeship Program.

Let your military experience and the benefits you’ve earned open the door to a new career as a commercial truck driver. The disciplined approach and work ethic of veterans is exactly what employers are looking for to fill a national shortage of truck drivers! Here’s a breakdown of each program:

Post-9/11 GI-Bill (Chapter 33) - provides up to 36 months of education benefits and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate military service after September 10, 2001 - or to individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge and generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (Chapter 30) - provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans. You may be eligible if you have an honorable discharge, a high school diploma or GED, or in some cases 12 hours of college credit. You must also meet the requirements of the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) - may provide up to 36 months of education benefits to members of one of these military service branch selected reserves: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or Army and Air National Guard. Eligibility normally ends the day you leave the reserve, though some exceptions exist.

Military Apprentice Program (MAP) – during the first year working for a MAP approved employer, veterans, guard members and reservists are eligible to earn a monthly educational benefit check from the VA in addition to a regular paycheck – up to $1,236 each month depending upon years of service. This program was set up to answer the high demand for military trained employees.